Lyonia Environmental Center
Education Associate and Gift Shop Attendant
Do you love meeting new people and sharing your passion for the environment? Lyonia Environmental Center (LEC), located in Deltona, FL, is looking for a part time staff person to assist with gift shop duties and education programming.
Duties: Duties can include greeting customers and managing gift shop transactions, interpreting exhibits in the nature center, answering visitors’ questions, and assisting LEC education staff with education programming Being able to work as part of a team, having a love for nature, and an interest in sharing that enthusiasm with others are essential! We are looking for someone who wants to join our team, who is willing to learn new things, meet new people, and have a good time while doing it! This position is an 11-20 hour/week temporary contract position.
· Minimum 18 years of age.
· 2 years or more of retail and cash handling experience (hospitality/restaurant experience also considered).
· Knowledge of a basic cash register as well as Point Of Sale computer program and ability to perform basic mathematical functions.
· 2 years or more of experience in the education field.
· Ability to comfortably speak to and teach audiences of varying ages.
· Ability to work in both indoor and outdoor settings.
· Experience working in a gift shop setting, handling monetary transactions, working with shop inventory (including monthly inventory counts, floor changes, restocking and shelving inventory), greeting and interacting with guests of all ages is essential.
· Ability to work with Excel and Word programs.
· Good communication skills. Once training has been given, must be able to answer questions regarding the exhibit gallery, nature preserve and trails, education programs and upcoming events as well as provide various education programs throughout the year.
· Once trained, comfortable working with and handling live animals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Self starter who can work independently while also being able to work as part of a team on projects, as needed.
· Basic knowledge of local ecosystems and the associated plants and animals.
· Work with a smile, be upbeat and cheerful!
Salary: $9.50 per hour
Saturday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Sunday 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Varying weekdays depending on facility needs
This position is an 11 - 20 hr/week, short-term, contract position. The successful candidate will be employed through a temporary staffing agency; this position does not provide any County benefits. As part of the employment process, potential candidates will undergo a background check, performed by the staffing agency.
Application submittal: Please submit your resume, which should include a list of at least 2 references, to Sandy Falcon, Manager, Lyonia Environment Center, 2150 Eustace Avenue, Deltona, FL 32725 or email@example.com.
· Ability to perform basic mathematical functions.
· Ability to speak clearly and concisely relaying information to laymen.
· Medium Work.
· Lifting 50 lbs.
· Carrying objects 25 lbs or more.
· Ability to see, hear, talk, feel, kneel, reach, balance and climb.
· Ability to stand for long periods of time.
· Inside work
· Outside work in